Request for Mediation Assistance

Parties to scale agreements under the Status of the Artist Act (Act, or parties trying to negotiate agreements, often need help in clarifying issues and resolving disputes. When this happens, a neutral third party can make all the difference. With the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS), that neutral third party can be available to you -- and at no cost.

Under section 45 of the Act, the Minister of Labour may name a mediator to confer with parties who are unable to reach agreement and assist them to enter into a scale agreement. The Minister may do this on his or her own initiative, or at the request of one or both parties. Such mediation is provided at no cost to the parties.

The FMCS provides conciliation and mediation assistance to artists' associations and producers engaged in collective bargaining, and offers preventive mediation and grievance mediation services when an agreement is in force. It also administers the Ministerial appointment of arbitrators when parties request it under section 36 of the Act.

Requests for assistance should be sent to:

Minister of Labour
Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
ESDC - Labour Program
165 Hôtel de Ville Street, Place du Portage, Phase II, 7th Floor
Gatineau, Quebec
K1A 0J2

Website: Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service

Date modified: