Interventions in Board Proceedings
Procedures: intervenors as of right
How do "intervenors as of right" exercise their rights?
Status of the Artist Act Procedural Regulations (Regulations) section 27(1)
To take advantage of their right to be heard, an artist, artists' association, producer or producers' association affected by an application for certification must contact the Board in writing at the address below within the time period set out in the Public Notice. The notice of intervention must contain the following information:
Regulations section 27(2)
- the intervenor's name, address and telephone number and fax number, if any;
- the name, address and telephone number and fax number of the intervenor's authorized representative, if any;
- the Board's file number indicated in the Public Notice;
- the signature of the intervenor or their authorized representative;
- the date of the filing of the notice of intervention.
Regulations section 27(3)
The Board may request that an intervenor file the grounds for their intervention and their interest in the matter.
intervenors as of right may use the Form provided by the Board for the purpose of notifying the Board of their intention to participate.
Procedures: other intervenors
How do others obtain the Board's permission to intervene?
Any individual or organization that is not entitled to intervene as of right, may apply to the Board in writing at the address below during the time period set out in the Public Notice, if applicable, providing the following information:
- the name, address and telephone number and fax number, if any, of the applicant for leave to intervene;
- the name, address, telephone and fax number of the authorized representative, if any, of the applicant for leave to intervene;
- the Board file number of the case that is the subject of the application for leave to intervene;
- the grounds for the intervention and the nature of the interest of the applicant for leave to intervene in the matter;
- the contribution that the applicant for leave to intervene expects to make to the proceeding if granted permission to intervene.
- the signature of the applicant for leave to intervene or of their authorized representative;
- the date of the application for leave to intervene.
The application must be accompanied by all relevant documents. Applicants may use the Form provided by the Board for the purpose of making an application for intervenor status.
It should be noted that the Board has discretion as to whether or not intervenor status will be granted and the extent of the rights of participation which will be permitted.
Criteria used by the Board to determine intervenor status
In deciding whether or not to grant permission to intervene, the Board will consider the following factors:
- whether the individual or organization seeking to intervene is directly affected by the outcome of the proceeding;
- whether the individual or organization's position is already represented by another participant in the proceeding;
- whether the public interest and/or the interests of justice would be served by permitting the individual or organization to intervene;
- whether the Board could hear and decide the matter without the input of the individual or organization.
Where to send the application
Notices and applications should be sent to:
Canada Industrial Relations Board
240 Sparks Street, 4th Floor West
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0X8
- Date modified: