Application for Review of Decisions and Orders by an Artist
What kinds of review applications can be filed by an artist?
A party affected by a decision or order of the Board may make a written application to the Board for a review of that decision or order on the grounds that:
- the Board's determination or order contains an error of law or a serious error of fact; or
- the applicant has new information or evidence that was not available at the time the decision or order was originally made, and which could alter the basis on which the determination or order was made.
Who can apply for review of a Board decision or order?
Any artist affected by a particular Board decision or order may apply to the Board for a review of that decision or order. The Board also has the ability to act on its own initiative to review an earlier decision or order.
This type of "internal" review of Board decisions and orders should be distinguished from judicial review.
When can an application be made?
An application for reconsideration of a Board decision should be made within 30 calendar days of the date of the original determination or order. If this time period is exceeded, the applicant must provide a compelling reason why this time limit should be waived.
It should be noted that the filing of an application for reconsideration of a Board decision does not extend or affect the time limits imposed by the Federal Court regarding the filing of an application for judicial review of the decision.
A party seeking judicial review of a Board decision must apply within the time period established by the Federal Court. If the party applies to have the Board reconsider the decision, its allowable time for seeking judicial review by the Federal Court of the decision does not change, and the time period commences with the date of the original decision, not the date on which the Board concludes its reconsideration.
How to apply for review
An application for review must be in writing and contain the following information:
- the name, address, telephone number and fax number, if any, of the artist, artists' association, producer or producers' association making the application for review ("the applicant");
- the name, address, telephone number and fax number of the applicant's authorized representative, if any;
- the name, address, telephone number and fax number, if any, of any artists' associations or producers affected by the determination or order;
- the file number and date of the determination or order which the applicant wishes to have reviewed;
- the grounds on which the applicant relies and full particulars of the facts which the applicant believes would justify a review of the determination or order;
- a description of the decision or order which the applicant is seeking;
- the signature of the applicant or the applicant's authorized representative;
- the date of the application.
The application must be accompanied by all relevant documents. Applicants may use the Form provided by the Board for the purpose of making an application for review.
Where to apply for review
Applications for review should be sent to:
Canada Industrial Relations Board
240 Sparks Street, 4th Floor West
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0X8
- Date modified: